Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ooh, yay! Girly stuff!!

My parents are coming out to Bloomington next weekend to visit. We're going to do typical parent-visit things, like trying out restaurants that I'm too cheap to try unless someone else is footing the bill and showing off various areas of campus that I haunt (like the Psychology building and the linguistics department. Somehow in grad school your familiar campus seems a lot smaller...). But I've also made us an appointment to go wedding dress shopping up Indianapolis way. (!!)

Despite my tough exterior (admit it, I make John Wayne look weak), I really enjoy dressing up on occasion. And what occasion could be better than your wedding day? In other words, I'm super psyched to go be the center of attention and try on pretty, ridiculous dresses (Yes, ridiculous. Just think about the idea of a train for a minute. A shining beacon of practicality, that.)

In preparation I've been doing some serious online browsing and I've got a small list of things to try on and aspects that I think I'll like in dresses in general, along with ones I won't. But we'll see. If years of shopping for prom taught me anything at all, it's that what you like on a hanger is not necessarily what you'll like on you. I'm so excited to find out, though!! I think seeing myself in a shiny white dress is going to make the whole thing seem a lot more real and immediate. I'll try not to gush (or bitch...) too much about it after next weekend, but I'll definitely post about how it goes. No matter what, it should be interesting...

(If you're like Michael and thinking "Holy crap, she's trying on dresses more than 6 months before the wedding? Insane!" then I would just like to mention that this is not abnormal. Particularly if you're going with a really snorky designer dress, people start shopping a year or more in advance. I think the idea is to leave plenty of time for alterations, disaster, or any sort of ordering/construction/shipping problems. Also, the dress is supposed to be one of the most vital things (possibly more so than the groom), so you're supposed to take care of it early, leaving the less vital things until later.
Personally, my parents happen to be visiting and I happen to have time, so we're taking advantage of the situation before things like midterms start dragging me down into real-world academia. Also, I want to look pretty, dammit.)

(Oh, and I opted to go with "wedding dress" over "wedding gown" for this post because talking about wearing "gowns" in virtually any respect makes me feel like a tool. Just so you know.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do people really call it a wedding gown now? Also I just watched the episode of "How I Met Your Mother" where Lilly camps out all night to get a dress at 50% off, and so this makes you seem unbelievably sane about the whole thing.